Sign in to follow this  
Brushan

Frost Mage Build

Would be thankful i someone have a good frost mage build for leveling. Horde troll so no x2 xp.

You will be surprised how mana efficient this is for leveling (even though it ain't frost). Scaling very well with int, spi and spelldmg, almost no downtimes, uninterruptable main nuke, early and strong spelldmg scaling on main nuke, incredible burst ability later on, if done correctly: hardest hitting aoe abilities paired with easy kiting of mobs (not to confuse with most control).

http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?0550050000230150333125100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

For Frost builds use search engines.

Posted (edited)

https://talentcalculator.org/tbc/mage?2300150310030000000000000000000000000000000000535003313230010221351

The reason you don't go Shatter is because it's really not that good for PvE including leveling. When you fight one mob you will be tanking it on Ice Barrier or just pop Icy Veins for 0 pushback instead of wasting too much time on Nova > running away > Frostbolt again (you will have to do that sometimes but not that often and 1 Frostbolt crit often breaks nova so it's really not that big of a deal). When it comes to AoE your Blizzard CAN'T crit so Shatter won't give any extra damage for your Blizzard. You don't take Frostbite because it actually fucks you over when you're trying to AoE pack of mobs with your Blizzard.

11 hours ago, Wrdlbrmpft said:

You will be surprised how mana efficient this is for leveling (even though it ain't frost). Scaling very well with int, spi and spelldmg, almost no downtimes, uninterruptable main nuke, early and strong spelldmg scaling on main nuke, incredible burst ability later on, if done correctly: hardest hitting aoe abilities paired with easy kiting of mobs (not to confuse with most control).

http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?0550050000230150333125100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

For Frost builds use search engines.

Improved Counterspell is useless for leveling. No Arcane Fortitude kind of sucks too. AM is actually very mana inefficient unless you already have a lot of arcane talents + BSD which won't be the case for the first 60 levels. Arcane Concentration isn't bugged on Netherwing so you won't be able to abuse it.

Edited by xilentraz21

Posted (edited)

I disagree imp CS is useless for leveling. There are plenty of mobs that can cast dmg and heal spells or two spell schools. With imp CS you lock both spell schools and don't force another spell school to be cast.

Further, mana inefficiency is a lie. I pick 2 ranks of AM and FrB:

Rank 1 arcane missiles has 0,85 damage per mana, frostbolt 1 has 0,78 damage per mana. AM rank 5 has 1,4 dpm and Frostbolt 7 has 1,48 dpm. Given that Arcane Concentration gives an average of 10% less mana cost, AM rank 5 has 1,56 dpm and frostbolt 7 with mana saving talent. Frostbolt 7 with mana reduce talent has better dpm, however rank 7 FrB is learned at 38 and rank 5 missiles come at level 40. Of course the lower level frostbolt has better dpm than a higher level arcane missile.

But now comes the deal breaker, which speaks for arcane missiles over FrB: with arcane talents you get up to 60% of your mana reg running while casting plus clearcasting once gives you 30% crit on all missiles. Double proc clearcasting = 60% on your next 5 missiles.

All people say arcane is slower, however with Frost you need to run/nova between your casts to not lose casting time. With arcane you just stand and spam AM without Interrupts and the mob dies faster (unless the mob has a counterspell/kick ability, but in that rare case u can nova and blink).

Edited by Wrdlbrmpft

Posted (edited)

I disagree imp CS is useless for leveling. There are plenty of mobs that can cast dmg and heal spells or two spell schools. With imp CS you lock both spell schools and don't force another spell school to be cast.

No, you're absolutely wrong. Most mobs aren't casters and the ones that are casting often use only one school of magic. Link me one type of mob that uses 2 school of magic during first 50 levels because I can't even think of one. It's a PvP talent only, completely useless for PvE and even if you sometimes meet casters in world PvP you still often want to land your CS on specific school so it won't matter that much unless you really look for trouble. No reason to take it over arcane fortitude + 1/2 imp mana shield (there are way more mobs who will do physical damage to you so 4-5% less of that damage for one talent is really good).

Rank 1 arcane missiles has 0,85 damage per mana, frostbolt 1 has 0,78 damage per mana. AM rank 5 has 1,4 dpm and Frostbolt 7 has 1,48 dpm. Given that Arcane Concentration gives an average of 10% less mana cost, AM rank 5 has 1,56 dpm and frostbolt 7 with mana saving talent. Frostbolt 7 with mana reduce talent has better dpm, however rank 7 FrB is learned at 38 and rank 5 missiles come at level 40. Of course the lower level frostbolt has better dpm than a higher level arcane missile.

But now comes the deal breaker, which speaks for arcane missiles over FrB: with arcane talents you get up to 60% of your mana reg running while casting plus clearcasting once gives you 30% crit on all missiles. Double proc clearcasting = 60% on your next 5 missiles.

All people say arcane is slower, however with Frost you need to run/nova between your casts to not lose casting time. With arcane you just stand and spam AM without Interrupts and the mob dies faster (unless the mob has a counterspell/kick ability, but in that rare case u can nova and blink).

When you kill mobs one by one in Frost you use mage armor too and you don't always have to run and nova the mob. You just tank it with ice barrier and if it's on CD you have icy veins for 0 pushback. If you have tanking mobs in mind I don't get why you wouldn't take arcane fortitude which gives like 4-5% less physical damage on you and that's only 1 talent. I don't think clearcasting works the way you're describing it. Like I said on Netherwing it's fixed and it works correctly so you can't abuse it (it won't proc multiple times during one AM and it works on one tick only).

Edited by xilentraz21

Hey, there are actually a few nasty caster mobs but I am no walking database, so I can't tell you exactly everyone. But for example many trolls in STV can put a school A totem to the ground and cast a school B spell. However, you might be right that the points can be spent better in different talents, such as those you mentioned.

In your second paragraph you argued, that Frost suffers no pushback thanks to ice barrier. In an earlier post you argued that Arcane only becomes strong at later levels, however now you are using level Frost talents only available later to support your own argument. Isn't that a bit contradictory?

We surely can agree on that every build has it's strong and weak points and one f the strong points of arcane is, that your main nuke suffers no pushback for 26 levels (14-40), while Frost uses casting time to nova, running, blinking during these levels during this period. Especially with all the melees you meet (you stated this yourself), pushback protection is a big thing while leveling. 

6 hours ago, Wrdlbrmpft said:

Hey, there are actually a few nasty caster mobs but I am no walking database, so I can't tell you exactly everyone. But for example many trolls in STV can put a school A totem to the ground and cast a school B spell. However, you might be right that the points can be spent better in different talents, such as those you mentioned.

I've been playing this game for years and leveling multiple times in classic Azeroth and I really can't think of one mob. Totems are not a spell anyway, they can be used while silenced and even if they were it's a shaman mob so he has only 1 school of magic which is nature.

In your second paragraph you argued, that Frost suffers no pushback thanks to ice barrier. In an earlier post you argued that Arcane only becomes strong at later levels, however now you are using level Frost talents only available later to support your own argument. Isn't that a bit contradictory?

No because by "later levels" I meant like levels 60+ when you are starting to get a lot more BSD items. You get icy veins at level 20 and ice barrier at 40 so it's pretty fast if you ask me. You also get extra % damage talents like piercing ice pretty fast in frost tree.

We surely can agree on that every build has it's strong and weak points and one f the strong points of arcane is, that your main nuke suffers no pushback for 26 levels (14-40), while Frost uses casting time to nova, running, blinking during these levels during this period. Especially with all the melees you meet (you stated this yourself), pushback protection is a big thing while leveling. 

It's neat indeed but AM doesn't slow the target and has less range than FB so mob will have way more health when it reaches you while using AM. There is no talent that makes AM a faster channel so in a time you can channel 1 AM you can cast 2,3 FBs while in frost. Let's say you're level 16 - with FB you will deal around 133,4 damage for 113 mana by the time it takes you to channel 1 AM that deals 152 damage for 140 mana. I guess arcane isn't too bad for leveling (surely better than fire) but frost still slightly wins when it comes to killing mobs one by one.

I apologize Brushan. There was almost good information here.. and there is, but we've strayed away from the question. To get back to it: Many mage specs can work while leveling, and a lot of things come down to player preference (like Imp CS).

Here is a fun AoE deep frost leveling build. http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?2300050010000000000000000000000000000000000000235323313235013221501

It relies on heavy blizzards, novas, and Frostbite procs to utilize the Shatter + Ice Shards talent combo we've all come to know and love.
You can shift some talents around if you prefer a heavier hitting Frostbolt. I would personally take from: Imp. CoC, Imp. Blizzard, Winter's Chill, Ice Floes, or Permafrost.

BONUS: Amazing for PvP

On 4/1/2019 at 4:49 AM, wale1002 said:

I apologize Brushan. There was almost good information here.. and there is, but we've strayed away from the question. To get back to it: Many mage specs can work while leveling, and a lot of things come down to player preference (like Imp CS).

Here is a fun AoE deep frost leveling build. http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?2300050010000000000000000000000000000000000000235323313235013221501

It relies on heavy blizzards, novas, and Frostbite procs to utilize the Shatter + Ice Shards talent combo we've all come to know and love.
You can shift some talents around if you prefer a heavier hitting Frostbolt. I would personally take from: Imp. CoC, Imp. Blizzard, Winter's Chill, Ice Floes, or Permafrost.

BONUS: Amazing for PvP

If you're about AoE taking Frostbite is bad.