Sign in to follow this  
Burkelone

LFHelp

Hello boys and girls

I am considering rolling as a Mage for the sake of i always played a Mage and i feel comfortable with it

I would also make one alt preferably melee DPS once i decide which will it be ^^

But the problem is that i never played The Burning Crusade expansion with it
Started in WoTLK and ended in MoP

I am planing to invest my time in Mage as my main for the sake of PTE

I don't really plan to raid more like casual heroics and some very casual PvP

Professions ( detailed explanation would be nice since i don't have experience as i said)

Talents spec ( screenshots if possible ) ,

and any other recommendations are all welcome here.

I want to invest my time carefully and don't repeat any choices i made

Cheers, Burke

If you play Arcane Frost, you can gear up very very easy and your pre raid gear will be almost as good as the bis gear you get from t4 raids. Despite common opinion, you will not need to spec into tailoring and will not need to craft expensive and time-consuming tailoring stuff (which btw is on par with blue pre raid items for arcane), so you can choose e.g. herbalism/alchemy to make your own potions (as arcane mage you will use mana potions almost every cooldown) or herbalism/enchanting to enchant your rings and farm herbs for your mana potions. You can also have alchemy on an alt to make your potions. Here is a list of rather easy to get and very strong pre raid gear:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VId3cp_NipvdI1tg4bDIYU9sgR9Cqn4XF6HdyS0MDpM/edit?usp=drivesdk

OFC all the other mage specs are viable, too. I just like arcane the most because you really have to think when to use which cooldown or ability and that is fun for me.

8 minutes ago, Wrdlbrmpft said:

Here is a list of rather easy to get and very strong pre raid gear:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VId3cp_NipvdI1tg4bDIYU9sgR9Cqn4XF6HdyS0MDpM/edit?usp=drivesdk

Thank you for this, much appreciated.

Well Arcane/Frost sounds good to me, and for now i would want to go Herbalism/Alchemy path ( Main reason i have never done it before in my life ).

I have yet to choose alt classes, and when i do decide on which ill decide on other professions combination.

I do plan to do more research on classes and races, and other content I'm not very familiar with, thankfully i have time until release.

But that Draenei Paladin looks delicious... Does this mean I'm Homosexual ?? ...

Cheers, and 
For The Alliance!

You're welcome!
Since you asked for a talent spec, here's what I'd suggest at level 70 for dungeons and raiding (however, if you want to pvp, deep frost would be a better choice): http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?2500250300030150330125000000000000000000000000535000310030010000000

This talent spec is based on spamming Arcane Blast, getting gear with priority on Intellect >= Haste/Spell damage > Spirit > Critical strike rating. In some cases hit rating, haste and or spell damage are better than intellect, but as a general rule, you don't do too much wrong if you gear for Intellect.

About your professions: With enchanting, you can enchant your two rings with +12 spell damage, so overall you will have a total of 24 spell damage. IF you can, make an alt, no matter which race, and make it a herbalist or alchemist (or both) and get at least enchanting on your mage.

Even if a Draenei Paladin makes you hard, what's wrong about being homosexual?

Cheers

Hello there,

Wrdlbrmpft is kinda biased to Arcane Mages which is imo completly okay, but most of the Mages will play Frost at the beginning and shortly after they get gear play Fire. If you are only planing to play more casually I would suggest that you stick to Frost, because its can be good in PvE and is easily the best specc for PvP. 

Proffesion wise, I would not suggest going Taiolring as Wrdl said, because it takes alot of time getting your Spellstrike/Spellfire/Frozen Shadoweave Set going for a casual player. So going Alchy/Herbalism should be fine for you.

Talent wise you can go like this:

http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?2300050000000000000000000000000000000000000000535020311035013251551
This is the standart Mage PvE Frost specc and:

http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?2300450010200000000000000000000000000000000000505323310235010241301
for the PvP Spec.

Rotation in the PvE as Frost Mage is as always Frostbolt Spam. As wrdl said before its handy that you are a Alchemist so that you can craft you own Mana Pots. 

For you alt I would go for a class that you never tried/want to try out. 

The one thing what you shouldnt forget playing Mage in TBC is that if you want to start Raid in a Hardcore/semi-Hardcore enviroment that you will encounter problems as Frost/Arcane specc prio T5. You will/should see only max. 1-2 Mages in your Raid, which makes getting a Raidspot rly hard. Otherwise if you are in a friendly and more casual oriented Guild, it shouldnt be a problem

I hope my little post helped ya a bit :)

19 hours ago, Wrdlbrmpft said:

You're welcome!
Since you asked for a talent spec, here's what I'd suggest at level 70 for dungeons and raiding (however, if you want to pvp, deep frost would be a better choice): http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?2500250300030150330125000000000000000000000000535000310030010000000

This talent spec is based on spamming Arcane Blast, getting gear with priority on Intellect >= Haste/Spell damage > Spirit > Critical strike rating. In some cases hit rating, haste and or spell damage are better than intellect, but as a general rule, you don't do too much wrong if you gear for Intellect.

About your professions: With enchanting, you can enchant your two rings with +12 spell damage, so overall you will have a total of 24 spell damage. IF you can, make an alt, no matter which race, and make it a herbalist or alchemist (or both) and get at least enchanting on your mage.

Even if a Draenei Paladin makes you hard, what's wrong about being homosexual?

Cheers

Well i hop on the server, put on some gear, spec'd like you advised me to, and i guess i cant play arcane at all..

After that i just spammed frostbolt for no reason, ended up not being OOM, and i did twice as much DPS on the recount, and 5 times more damage done...

maybe i need further instructions about rotation

2 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Hello there,

Wrdlbrmpft is kinda biased to Arcane Mages which is imo completly okay, but most of the Mages will play Frost at the beginning and shortly after they get gear play Fire. If you are only planing to play more casually I would suggest that you stick to Frost, because its can be good in PvE and is easily the best specc for PvP. 

Proffesion wise, I would not suggest going Taiolring as Wrdl said, because it takes alot of time getting your Spellstrike/Spellfire/Frozen Shadoweave Set going for a casual player. So going Alchy/Herbalism should be fine for you.

Talent wise you can go like this:

http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?2300050000000000000000000000000000000000000000535020311035013251551
This is the standart Mage PvE Frost specc and:

http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?2300450010200000000000000000000000000000000000505323310235010241301
for the PvP Spec.

Rotation in the PvE as Frost Mage is as always Frostbolt Spam. As wrdl said before its handy that you are a Alchemist so that you can craft you own Mana Pots. 

For you alt I would go for a class that you never tried/want to try out. 

The one thing what you shouldnt forget playing Mage in TBC is that if you want to start Raid in a Hardcore/semi-Hardcore enviroment that you will encounter problems as Frost/Arcane specc prio T5. You will/should see only max. 1-2 Mages in your Raid, which makes getting a Raidspot rly hard. Otherwise if you are in a friendly and more casual oriented Guild, it shouldnt be a problem

I hope my little post helped ya a bit 🙂

Okay i took some time reading all the tooltips for talents, and researched a bit more, and i agree with both talent trees you shared, maybe i would change a talent or two.

I have more questions, but first since i woke up few hours ago only, I'm gonna join the server and do some tests with my Mage, be right back.

And thanks both of you, really appreciated 

Hit me up on Netherwing Discord. If you want, I can show you some tricks and basics about arcane/Frost mage.

You should also try the other specs which Dynasty suggested and just play whatever you find most enjoyable. I prefer Arcane for PVE, because it is not as gear, farm and consumable dependent as Frost and Fire. Arcane can go well without e.g. the tailoring robes and you can skip the expensive +9 spell damage gems every other caster class uses. On some boss fights you will outdps Fire/Frost (even pre t5 set), but on trash you will have a hard time NOT to outdps other players. For many, trash does not count, but it is also a significant part of dungeons and raids.

• Like 1

You can hit me up on Netherwing Discord too (Dynasty#5217 ) or ingame with the name "Dynastysux". 

Cheers

• Like 1

Well one thing i forgot is that there is no dual spec in TBC

So I've decided to be a PvP oriented player since in my eyes it more worth do kill a few horde here and there,

more BG and WPvP than Arena one,

but that will depend on my skills in the future with my Mage ~ i don't wanna get carried away.

This is the talent tree i would choose - 
http://calculators.iradei.eu/talents/mage?2300050000000000000000000000000000000000000000535020311035013251551#none

Any suggestions about changing it ?

I guess my next option for an alt character would be a Raid charater, and to be honest Priest sounds like a good option, i would be happy to be a healer if i ever do get time for another character.

And the reason i would love Priest is cause that's one of the classes i always wanted to fully try, i played some in Cataclysm and i liked it honestly.

And i know that both Mage(fire) and Priest(Disc) are good in WoTLK if i ever endure it to there(PTE), cause I've had friends on another private server really long time ago (maybe 5 or so years) and i know the overall experience with them is enjoyable.

So my next questions is, what professions should i roll for my casual PvP Mage ?

And i never used Discord before, but I've downloaded it as i wrote this, I'm gonna be in game really soon.

Cheers