passaroy

Unjust Forced Guild Name Change

After today's earlier server restart, our Game of Thrones tribute guild got renamed to <Strawberry Puppy Kisses> which really cramps our style, considering it was originally called <Wight Power> and made a lot of sense since in the show the Night King's army is a powerful force to be reckoned with. To further align ourselves in theme with our favorite TV show and fictional world created by George R. R. Martin and brought to life on-screen by showrunners David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, we even went as far as rolling undead characters in-game and customizing them accordingly to look like the wights showcased in the TV series; that deep runs our passion for both WoW and GoT!

Now, I understand some concerns were raised within the Netherwing community on both Horde and Alliance sides, and I'm here to lay them to rest once and for all! To my dismay, I have learned that certain demoralized individuals that contacted me about getting recruited, during the last couple of days, got the wrong idea about what our guild stands for and took it upon themselves to spread misinformation and lies after being rejected. I have made it abundantly clear, time and again, that we are a very progressive guild in the sense that we try to be as inclusive and diverse as possible, our guild members' backgrounds ranging across many belief systems, political affiliations, genders, and, believe it or not, even races (yeah! both in and outside of the game). Our strive to be as inclusive as possible extends even as far as being willing to stray from our GoT-fanmade-guild principles and accepting characters that aren't forsaken (undead)! As a result, many, if not half, of our guild members, are, as we like to call them, non-wights (blood elves, orcs, trolls or tauren). The reason for it is that they're all fans of the show and answered favorably when asked if they're wight, and the truth of the matter is that whether or not they're undead is ultimately irrelevant as long as you can be dead inside and we'll still consider you a wight. 

However, there is one thing that we will not stand for, and that is racism and discrimination! Many of those that contacted us about recruitment spouted racist slurs and profanity that I will not get into at this current moment. Suffice it to say, they were swiftly set straight and put in their place. Apparently, these individuals took to global channels after getting rejected and started spreading falsehoods about our guild, and even after calmly attempting to defuse the situation and explain to everyone what they were doing and how their trolling was damaging to our reputation, it did become tiresome after a while, but we held on strong...

Although not being immediately apparent, at the time, it is clear to us that there is a conundrum posed by the fact that the words "wight" and "white" are homonyms, and that although they're spelled differently and mean different things, they read the same. That, followed by the word "power", ended up rustling some feathers, which, in turn, must've amounted to a pretty substantial number of complaints to our address. I empathize with the people that have had to deal with the mater in question, respectively, members of the staff, but must unfortunately insist on the fact that we've been struggling with clearing our name and addressing most of these issues both internally and externally, handling every grievances and disagreements as they arose, all the while being dismissed by a staff member when contacted for a mandatory guild name change and attempting to defend our claims. 

Frustration is no excuse for ignorance, nor should it be acceptable behavior on anyone's part. This only serves to lessen our efforts to better ourselves as a community, first and foremost, in times when we need to stand together, now, more than ever!

I have annexed a couple of screenshots (https://imgur.com/a/oJrG740 & https://imgur.com/a/EFU8dDo) for context and am available anytime for further inquiry, as I'm sure any guild members are, as well.

In conclusion, I'd like to also make you aware that the "Netiquette" is something retail prides itself in upholding it to the highest standards, yet, somehow, there's:

- a guild called <Wight> on EU (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/guild/eu/thunderhorn/wight)

- 3 characters called "Wightpower" on EU (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/search?q=wightpower)

- 4 characters called "Wightpower" on US (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/search?q=wightpower)

- 53 characters called "Wight" on EU (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/search?q=wight)

- 95 characters called "Wight" on US (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/search?q=wight)

- a guild called <Whitepower> on EU (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/guild/eu/nathrezim/whitepower)

- 2 characters called "Whitepower" on US (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/search?q=whitepower)

- 4 guilds called <Wight Power> on US (https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/search?q=wight+power)

- actual in-game Wights of several types (https://wowwiki.fandom.com/wiki/Wight)

So, if people would stop grasping at straws, they'd ultimately see we've literally done nothing wrong, and would love to have our original guild name back with no excuses necessary or any hard feelings...

Thank you for your time and understanding!

WoWScrnShot_062019_044106.jpg

WoWScrnShot_062019_044141.jpg

WoWScrnShot_062019_044330.jpg

WoWScrnShot_062019_044559.jpg

WoWScrnShot_062019_044956.jpg

WoWScrnShot_062019_050943.jpg

WoWScrnShot_062019_053118.jpg

As stated in our initial conversation, from the #WightPride message of the day, to your guild recruitment message <Wights Only!>, it caused a lot of tension and animosity toward you and your guild members, and world chat continually devolved into racist remarks, which involved numerous tickets and game master involvement, which detracted us from the launch of 2.1.

This would have been OK it it was just a play on words, but it was clear to me that it was used to bypass racism rules (As stated by my earlier comments, and from the messages you and other guild members made in world chat over the last few days). When I originally approached you, I had already made the decision to rename your guild: And gave you the opportunity to choose a different one for yourself. Instead, you continued to argue, which was why I was forced to change it to another one (In this case, taking a friendlier one, used by one of the top guilds on WoW).

If you wish to DM me a more appropriate guild name: One which doesn't attempt to bypass our racism policies, I'd be happy to change your guild name upon the next restart of the server.

• Thanks 1

We are still waiting for an answer from the staff of netherwing, someone that doesn't imagine or takes things personal while being GM. 

Edited by Aurush

What exactly is wrong with wight pride or wights only, when you allow german/french or whatever else only guilds to function just right.

And the "problem" you mention doesn't seem to have anything to do with the guild, but with idiots whining about it. Maybe you should look into that rather than harass innocent wight folk.

Lastly,  i think you should thank us for delaying 2.1, seeing what a poor job you did at implementing it with the buggy quests and items.

#WightPride

3 hours ago, Aurush said:

We are still waiting for an answer from the staff of netherwing, someone that doesn't imagine or takes things personal while being GM. 

Daystar IS part of Netherwing Staff. What he wrote is the official statement I support. We received more than enough complaints to justify taking action (far exceeding typical, easily offended people).

2k19 and they can't even make a difference between wight and white, pretty good gms

Lastly,  i think you should thank us for delaying 2.1, seeing what a poor job you did at implementing it with the buggy quests and items.

I'd suggest avoiding comments like these, as they don't really help your case and only make me even more convinced it was a good decision.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wolfenstein said:

I'd suggest avoiding comments like these, as they don't really help your case and only make me even more convinced it was a good decision.

Claiming the patch was delayed or didn't go properly because you were flooded with complaints from oversensitive manchildren is pretty disingenuous. Blaming us instead of taking responsability for it doesn't help your case either.

Secondly, are you really saying your priority is answering complaints about world chat shitposting as opposed to deploying the new patch?

There was no delay with the patch and Game Masters have nothing to do with deployment. What Daystar meant is instead of helping players with whatever issues arose after the patch was applied, they had to devote time to resolve this situation.

Wait, are you kidding me ? As an administrator you only read what we wrote in comments ? I don't see any quotes about the facts that passaroy wrote above , did you even read it ?

You are just telling us that being a GM is being a god , so whatever he said/did is good. More like "I know this guy, he's a nice person, i'm sure he didn't do anything wrong, no need to check why he changed the name of the guild".

8 hours ago, Daystar said:

As stated in our initial conversation, from the #WightPride message of the day, to your guild recruitment message <Wights Only!>, it caused a lot of tension and animosity toward you and your guild members, and world chat continually devolved into racist remarks, which involved numerous tickets and game master involvement, which detracted us from the launch of 2.1.

This would have been OK it it was just a play on words, but it was clear to me that it was used to bypass racism rules (As stated by my earlier comments, and from the messages you and other guild members made in world chat over the last few days). When I originally approached you, I had already made the decision to rename your guild: And gave you the opportunity to choose a different one for yourself. Instead, you continued to argue, which was why I was forced to change it to another one (In this case, taking a friendlier one, used by one of the top guilds on WoW).

If you wish to DM me a more appropriate guild name: One which doesn't attempt to bypass our racism policies, I'd be happy to change your guild name upon the next restart of the server.

Hold on hold on hold so if enough people complain about something that makes it legit are you kidding me? Argumentum ad populum

If I start an complaining reportmob on all guilds that advertise say "russians only" you will force them to change this? If not why not as in a an mmoRPG (Role Playing Game) you can choose to have a madeup race like GoT wights and if its not allowed you chould change the rules to no RolePlaying for anyone. Rules for thee but not for me

Racism rules wait are you serious? So stealing is okay (blizzard would shut you down and sue you in an instant if they knew of this server) but saying or implying mean things isnt? This sounds awful lot like "punching nazis is ok but words are violence".

"You kept arguing" so if a GM has his own fantasies about being some sjw and seeing racism everywhere the only correct course is to ammend and apologize for something you didnt do and not enlight him that the racism he sees everywhere is propably just in himself? Argumentum ab auctoritate

Also implying its their fault GM's would spend time on nonsense instead of doing what they're hired to do (launch patches) is beyond ridicilous. This could've been solved in 2minutes with "people have freedom of assosiation, speech and thought" and ignoring all complaints.

I'm a mulatto myself can I name a character mulatto or is that "wrongthink" or "hatespeech" aswell? I'td be good to know before the comrads at the top send my virtual selfs to gulags

My face when I realise the GM's are full scale marxist speech and thought police and would never do this to a guild called "black power"

Edited by kikero
Forgot the vid