Sign in to follow this  
Novendar

To Tank or not to Tank?

Now that is the real question for me.

I played a Prot Paladin in retail TBC for the whole expansion and I do want to do something different. I will likely be leveling two characters, one with my friend and one by myself. By myself, I will likely go Rogue. With my friends, I am heavily considering going Warrior.

But. How is the population of tanks usually? Considering guilds will only need one main tank, I am not sure how viable it will end up being. Should I prepare to go DPS Warrior? Or just go Feral Druid? Or Roll ranged DPS with my friend?

Thoughts?

Yes there can normally never be too many tanks but even if that scenario does happen..getting gear for your second spec is your next goal. Hope for the best but plan for the worst! All your options are dual specs...you can switch from fury/arms to prot or feral/boomkin to bear dudu...I'm leaning towards warriors though because that is who I am, I have to admit druids are a solid choice even though I cant get past lvl 10 as one 😂

If you want to tank though...find an awesome healer and get matching tattoos. I've seen too many raids where tank & healer duo are completely off sync. Whatever you decide no regrets just adapt!

• Like 1

Do we know if we'll get dual spec? As it was not originally introduced in TBC. So though it'd be nice to have, it would not be Blizzlike.

My friend does want to play a healer, which is why I am so heavily leaning toward playing a tank with him. Truth be told I never liked Warrior much in Vanilla or TBC, but it's been a long time, and I've changed, so many I should give it another chance.

I searched on the forums a bit and no we won't be getting dual spec. As far as preparing for "for the worse", aka having to Warrior dps, that's the whole reason I'm asking these questions. For a DPS Warrior, Blacksmithing is a must. While for a tank it's really not. 

As a GM, I'm constantly swamped with too many tanks. You only ever need, at maximum, 4 tanks, and there's always way too many tanks. Roll RDPS or healer, that's what every single pserver needs more of.

As for Blacksmithing as a Warrior tank, what else are you gonna do? It's either that or Engineering, and the swords outshine the trinkets imo.

Edited by Toddhowardsballs

2 hours ago, Novendar said:

Do we know if we'll get dual spec?

My friend does want to play a healer, which is why I am so heavily leaning toward playing a tank with him. Truth be told I never liked Warrior much in Vanilla or TBC

Nope. No dual respec...the worst case scenario i was talking about is the one where you might have to go respec to suit your guild! Don't forget to have fun so if warrior is not your idea of fun then don't torture yourself in game 😃

How do you feel about druid bear tanking?

4 hours ago, whamio said:

Nope. No dual respec...the worst case scenario i was talking about is the one where you might have to go respec to suit your guild! Don't forget to have fun so if warrior is not your idea of fun then don't torture yourself in game 😃

How do you feel about druid bear tanking?

I've never tanked high level as a bear. In fact, Bear and Monk are the only two tanks I've not played at max level. I may consider it if my friend decides to go Priest. 

In the end, I will likely main Rogue anyways. But I still don't want to take a class I'll just end up shelving at 70. I would only play my Rogue if it wasn't that I know my friend will play no where near as much as me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Toddhowardsballs said:

As a GM, I'm constantly swamped with too many tanks. You only ever need, at maximum, 4 tanks, and there's always way too many tanks. Roll RDPS or healer, that's what every single pserver needs more of.

As for Blacksmithing as a Warrior tank, what else are you gonna do? It's either that or Engineering, and the swords outshine the trinkets imo.

As a Prot Warrior, I was honestly thinking Jewel Crafting or Alchemy.

As for number of tanks, that's close to my personal experience as well. The main problem comes from needing 3 times more tanks while leveling and doing dungeons than for raids.