Sign in to follow this  
flare

Double WF vs WF/FT

I wonder if there are any changes in between 2.0.3 and 2.4.3 that would affect having either both WF or using WF/FT on weapons. I tested it for hours on the beta server and from what it seems WF/FT with T4/Kara gear seems to be top DPS.

Without going into too many details and without looking at raid situations (buffs/debuffs) and just concentrating on weapon procs WF/FT outperforms WF/WF at training dummy with around 90DPS. Anyone else tested this?

Edited by flare
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, flare said:

I wonder if there are any changes in between 2.0.3 and 2.4.3 that would affect having either both WF or using WF/FT on weapons. I tested it for hours on the beta server and from what it seems WF/FT with T4/Kara gear seems to be top DPS. Anyone else tested this?

Hello! Sadly I did not get the time to test out the beta server But I have to ask...The weapons you were dual wielding...are they both the same slow speed? Around 2.4 seconds both?  Is the offhand faster?  flametongue will probably give you better dps on fast weapons( 2 seconds or faster) otherwise I believe windfury is better overall dps if you are using a slow offhand.

Edited by whamio

I tested different scenarios. Slow MH/OH and slow MH with fast OH.

WF/FT always ranked better than both WF which was surprising since I thought WF on slow weapons will always be superior. I tested it once without any buffs and once with raidbuffs/flask and the result is still the same.

I got the following results (just autoattacks with focus on procs)

(slow=2.6, fast=1.7)

1. WF/FT with slow MH and fast OH - 710DPS

2. WF/FT with slow MH and slow OH - 650DPS

3. WF/WF with slow MH/OH - 630 DPS

I tested for around 3 hours in total. Every testing scenario for 20 minutes.

(Frostbite tested as well but not viable)

Edited by flare
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What about testing in an actual 25 man raid setting with full buffs and defbuffs on the boss? That is the only way to properly and accurately test it.

• Like 1

Not that easy to get a 25man running on the beta server, right? Theorycrafting doesn't require a raid anyway.

Edited by flare

7 hours ago, flare said:

Not that easy to get a 25man running on the beta server, right? Theorycrafting doesn't require a raid anyway.

Well they do say the good stuff is usually never easy! Though for the time being, unless you find evidence otherwise, it seems that Wf/Ft is the theoretical optimal stuff to use until you get different gear.

Double Windfury is not a thing on BC, because of the 3 second Cooldown. This cooldown is shared between the main and off hand, so you do not want your offhand wasting your main hand's cooldown. The real debate for enha shams is the speed of off hand weapon, since there is all kind of stuff going on with Flurry talent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

From what it seems like you want a fast OH with FT. Best test results in various situations.

28 minutes ago, werwood said:

Double Windfury is not a thing on BC, because of the 3 second Cooldown. This cooldown is shared between the main and off hand, so you do not want your offhand wasting your main hand's cooldown. The real debate for enha shams is the speed of off hand weapon, since there is all kind of stuff going on with Flurry talent.

Man! Admittedly my enh shammy knowledge is 10 years old so there may be specific things that I do not remember correctly. But I do remember when I hit SWP I was rocking double wf with my offhand being a trash mob drop that took me ages to get: Mounting Vengeance

5 minutes ago, whamio said:

Man! Admittedly my enh shammy knowledge is 10 years old so there may be specific things that I do not remember correctly. But I do remember when I hit SWP I was rocking double wf with my offhand being a trash mob drop that took me ages to get: Mounting Vengeance

I've heard enh players insisting on both and until this day I doubt anyone actually knows how it was. And because Blizzard never even bothered to document it has a cooldown in the first place, it's entirely possible they changed it multiple times during the expansion.
THIS guide for example mentions that the off hand proc "steals" the WF, but why would you have WF on both weps in the first place then? I dunno, but I remember a private server where the WF positively did not share the cooldown and enh's DPS went through the roof, then they changed it and it went back to normal. I know that's not exactly a reliable proof, but to me all the pieces we have make sense only if the cooldown was shared.