Torrexx

Tanking Heroics as Arms Warrior?

Hi guys, I will be leveling as an Arms Warrior from Level 40-70. I played Classic on Lights Hope before and tanking with my Arms spec was no problem. I could do PVP as well as dungeons, which was great.

How is it in the BC dungeons (normal/heroic)? Will I be able to keep threat and stay alive?

On 1/28/2019 at 10:38 AM, Torrexx said:

Hi guys, I will be leveling as an Arms Warrior from Level 40-70. I played Classic on Lights Hope before and tanking with my Arms spec was no problem. I could do PVP as well as dungeons, which was great.

How is it in the BC dungeons (normal/heroic)? Will I be able to keep threat and stay alive?

Heylo! It seems to be that rage is not working as intended...no idea where you have reached but I am interested to know how is it going if you have already started? Edited: Rage issues have been fixed as far as i can tell!

Edited by whamio

Posted (edited)

I jut hit 58 on my warrior, and intend to hit Outland soon (probably waiting until 59, maybe 60 if it's not too slow in EPL).

I have been leveling 2h Fury, and tanking dungeons just fine. I have asked around, and been advised it won't go so well in Outland. I really don't want to respec to Prot until 70, so interested in any advice or opinions on the matter.

I will be pushing forward and feeling it out, and I'll report back here. I will probably respec to lean toward prot, instead of being full-DPS around the time I'm moving to Zangarmarsh, unless Ramparts kicks my butt. This is my first attempt at talent choices:

http://armory.twinstar.cz/talent-calc.php?cid=1&d=tbc&tal=000000000000000000000000550010500521225312110055301330000000000000

Edit: Additional comments

I have read a place or two that even through heroics, you can tank just fine in a DPS spec, as long as your gear is sufficient, just need to respec full prot for raiding. I would love to be able to put off Prot until raiding, especially given the afct, I probably won't be playing reliably enough to be any raid's full time tank, and may never go full prot.

Edited by dab2110
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

In regards to your question i believe if you go into dungeons prepared like a good adventurer should, proper food buffs,sharpening stones for your weapon,shield spike for your shield, HP pots relevant to your level, potion buffs and gear that is at relevant to your actual level then i believe you can tank your way to 70.

Personally though i think Fury talents has better synergy with offtanking. I believe that the people telling you that it might not go so well in outlands is due to outland greens being better than everything you have got from vanilla content so in theory if you can gear up with outland greens BEFORE you go there from the auction house  i think you'll do just fine even as fury spec as long as the gear is good.

Edited by whamio

Posted (edited)

Update: Nothing to report really.

I'm 65 now, and haven't tanked at all. With the new XP rates, it won't be worth toying much with it.

Unfortunately, it appears it doesn't matter much how actually effective it is, because I have been denied a tank spot twice just because people don't think it will be effective. So, perspective > reality, it seems. I will be respeccing a dps-minded prot spec, just to be able to say I'm prot. I'll let you know how soloing goes with it.

Edit: To be fair, it's perfectly possible that I was denied a tank spot by people know actually know better, and their perspective is right. So, in this case, it may be their perspective = reality. But, I don;t think that's right.

Edited by dab2110
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

For me...In life every question has 3 possible answers...There is what other people think is the answer, what YOU think is the answer & what is the actual absolute answer that only God will probably truly know

Regarding your news, it is a shame but  I'm not suprised really...the Good news for you though  is...5 more levels to go! :classic_biggrin:

Personally i think you can only pull it off properly is if you have a group of people that you usually dungeon group with...most likely going to end up being your guildmates.

I've got a plan to go my own talent spec upto 70...somewhat similiar to what you are on about...Lets see how that goes...

Dont forget to have fun gaming...people take that for granted these days!

Edited by whamio
Typo

Posted (edited)

@dab2110 I think the reason you got passed up is because we've all had that one balance druid, retribution paladin, or fury warrior who said they could tank a dungeon - and the results were...well never to be mentioned again. Not saying that is you, but all it takes is one bad apple to spoil the bunch. 

I am positive while it is a possibility, it is not ideal for all others in the group - especially the poor healer who is already stressing about healing the DPS who are not focusing your target.

It is especially off the table in heroics, unless you're running around in T4+ prot gear. Especially with no talents in improved shield mitigation, armor, stam, or magic damage reduction

Edited by Epiclesis

I don't recommend going prot if you're going to be solo questing. It pretty much sucks. Maybe if you were doing it the whole time, it would feel fine, but making the switch is really annoying.

Survivability doesn't come close to making up for loss in damage, so I kill more slowly, and end each fight with less health. I was dumb enough to do Ring of Blood, and take a 1h. I could have been wrecking right now, and feeling very gimped.

I'm hoping the current dip in the economy, thanks to the xp event, will allow me to pick up a good 2h and go back.

• Like 1

Prot really takes off in the next expansion WotLK, there it is viable, actually all 3 specs are viable for solo play in WotLK.  What level are you now? you mentioned Ring of Blood so i know you should definitely be somewhere in the 66-68 Level range. What is your level 70 plan? to go Dps(Fury,Arms) or to tank?

There is a dip in the economy? I just realized i dont even know if you are playing on the horde or alliance so the perspective might be different! (No idea about the horde side of things in regards to warriors at the moment!)

I was planning to go prot at 70, kind of depends on how much I am playing, and if I am consistently running dungeons, or still playing a lot of solo content. I still want to hop on the new PoE expansion, so I will probably stay in DPS for a bit. I also expected to do a lot better in solo play as prot, so that is effecting my decision too. I remember the prot warrior days from wrath, and I know it wouldn't be that good, but didn't expect it to be this bad. In fairness, I also don't know what I'm doing in my prot spec, so there is probably something to be said for playing solo properly that I am missing out on... I only played in a dps spec as a warrior in retail TBC, and didn't do much at 70.

I think we may have gotten a bit off topic here. :p As far as the original purpose of the thread, it appears that the community itself may be enough of a bsrrier to tanking heroics in a DPS spec, but I still believe it could be done, if done right. At least if you have a good group of people you know, and everyone expects to do things the right way, as opposed to always pugging. I am certain this is possible pre-heroics, though I know heroics in TBC are intended to be pretty challenging, so it may be a heavy lift.

• Like 1