Sign in to follow this  
ObjectMetadata

Is leveling as Protection worth it?

I thought about leveling as protection to better tank dungeons. Since Pala leveling is mostly auto-hit anyway, would this be a good idea? Would the additional sustain outweigh the reduced damage?

So basically, you dont need to spec into prot pre 40.

If youre doing good, you can still tank kinda. 

At level 40,  respec into Prot. In my opinion youll level really fast from then. You can pull many mobs together, put on a Seal of Wisdom / Seal of Light, depending on what you need and you'll be way faster than ret in soloing + you can do dungeons extremely good!

On 2/13/2019 at 1:27 AM, Windritter said:

So basically, you dont need to spec into prot pre 40.

If youre doing good, you can still tank kinda. 

At level 40,  respec into Prot. In my opinion youll level really fast from then. You can pull many mobs together, put on a Seal of Wisdom / Seal of Light, depending on what you need and you'll be way faster than ret in soloing + you can do dungeons extremely good!

This.

You can start AoE grinding one you get SoW, or you can get a pocket Healer and go prot whenever. I’ve been prot since level 10, and don’t regret it one bit.

I went prot at 50 and ran a few dungeons. Questing as prot was so slow i went back ret. Even at 65 i see people that are prot questing around me and i watch how long it takes them to kill a mob. Don't get me wrong they have no issue doing so but in 1 minute i can kill 4 mobs on average and they kill 2. 

Completely agree with Nemebetas. On the contrary I stubbornly levelled as prot with improved SoR, reckoning and spell dmg gear. But have mostly regretted it and been frustrated when fighting casters or mobs that don't pack easily. Once in a while there's a quest that goes very quick as you can kill mobs in large batches. But most of the time that isn't the case. I also tried to 1v1 without regen, but the mob just doesn't die quick enough to be with it. Dungeons are fun, as you are top dps while taking, but they are not really efficient to level, and heals are hard to come by. Overall, if I needed to do it again, I would go Ret (although I find that build super boring).

I've been prot since start, currently lvl 51.  I've had no issues questing.  A bit slow, but I like the reliability of prot if you get unexpected adds, you can survive.   I switched to ret recently and I found it too fragile.  I can kill mobs a bit quicker, but my mana drains way faster, and I have more drinking/healing time.  Regardless, I switched back to prot for the security and multi mob performance.

Each to his own I guess.

pala questing is just so ass in general.. If u are prot it won't be fun vs spellcaster mobs and single target mobs will take time to kill. For ret you will still have to drink/heal between mobs due to lack of mana ;_; ... Fuck that.